Monday 31 August 2015

Rain, heat, humidity ..........

We are now in Confolens about 25kms short of our intended target in a pleasant hotel by the river Vienne. Since Brassac-Quince much has happened. The day to day milage has been interupted by rain, heat and humidity and decisions have to be made.

From Brassac we had a great days cycling through the wine area of the Loire. We followed the river for  30kms or so through Samur to a campsite in Montsoraux. This was about 5km north of Fontevraud with a famous Abbey - apparently it is world famous for something but I am not a churchy type of guy so you will need to ask Gilly when you see her - I was more interested in the Loire rose wine - which incedently I have half a caraffe in front of me now (the other 2 members of the team are asleep I think!!!!). The weather forecast was for rain and lots of it. It rained over night and the tipped it down all the next day - we stayed put - definately not cycling weather. A young Belgium couple who were camping near us decided otherwise and I hope they are safe.An old boy (maybe twice my age) stayed put but his cycling probaby puts us to shame - he was cycling the Loire Cycle Route from the source to the sea at St Nazzaire - great to see, hope I am like him in 20 years time.
On taking my tent down on Friday a pole broke - not sure why as it was not under pressure - I had a broken pole a year or two back and I now carry 4 pole repair sleeves which is just as well as the adjacent pole broke as I was putting the tent up in Parthenay.

We have started moving south now - I always feel the Loire is the border for the cool damp weather to the north and the warmer weather to the south. - I guess we should be careful what we wish for. We had a helpful wind and I feel I am getting stronger.
Parthenay Dist 84.86. Odo 468.0 As you can see it was a long day - the longest yet.

Saturday 29th saw us continuing south. The temperature saored to 35°C very hot for cycling and we all suffered - not enough water etc. but we arrived in Lustigan in good time.
Lustigan Dist 45.25 Odo 514

Yesterday was again 35°C + but for warned ...... we drank at least 5 bottles on the way. Gilly has learned the phrase to ask the barkeeper to fill our bottles. We met a fun group of walkers who wanted to know which football team we suported - rugby I said  Ha! He said we stuffed you at the weekend - did not know the result. We arrived in a delightful town of I'Isle Jourdain with a hugh viaduct and a small municiple campsite. There were an English group in the campsite going home on Monday - good fun and directed us to the centre of town for food and bars, as did the campsite lady.  We wandered around for over an hour, everything was shut." Of course it was", I hear you cry "what do you expect in small town France on a Sunday". Well we did hope for a bar or something. This has happened to Gilly  an I before - we should learn but we are getting old.
Dist 59.8 Odo 573.9

Today Monday 31st looked like it was going to be a cooler pleasanter day. After scraping around our bags for some morcels of food last night, we shared a few nuts, a little cheese, some hot chocolate and 2 apples an 3 peaches we scrumped from someones garden we were knocking on the supermarkets door at 9 o'clock. Pan au chocolate, some very nice pastry thingy's and some frankfertery sausages. We needed some energy.

The cycling so far has been anything but easy. Not much flat but rolling countryside. Some of the up rolls have been very chalenging and in the heat particularly energy sapping. John's bike has different gearing to mine and Gilly's, our bottom gear is much lower than his so we can tackle the hills better. Today the hills got to John, I guess the lack of food, the dehydration of the last couple of days and cycling without respite has taken it's toll. He twisted his back a few days ago and, although it is improving I am sure it has not helped.
We shortened our day and have holed up in Confolens in a hotel by the river.
Dist 33.88 Odo 607.8.




No comments:

Post a Comment