Sunday 20 August 2017

Rhine - Source to Sea

Hi Ho.

We are off again in a couple of days back into Europe and the Alps. It is said that the Rhine is the most beautiful and picturesque  river in Europe. We are going  to find out.  Gilly and I are joining our good friends Pat and Di for an adventure exploring the Rhine. Pat and Di were our travelling companions  when we cycled down the Pacific Highway from Vancover to Mexico a couple  of years ago.

We fly to Zurich  on Wednesday and train to Oberalppass on Thursday. Pat & I will then walk to the source of the Rhine at Lai da Tuma - a lake about 2hrs walk from the pass. Our adventure starts in earnest on Friday with a fast 50km descent as the Rhine expands into fast flowing river. We then follow it to the sea.


Unusually for us, we will not be camping but will be seeking out small hotels and local b&bs.

Pat and I have been on a serious  weigh-loss regime with Slimming World, Pat in London and me in Ashburton. I am 4 stone lighter and Pat 5 stone lighter than when we last embarked  on an adventure. The Olympic  motto  applies - faster, higher, stronger. I cycle faster, I now beat Gilly up the hills and having  come off my beta blockers, I am definitely fitter and stronger!

We have had a load of grandchildren all week, the last go  tonight which  leaves us free on Monday to sort stuff out.

Looking forward to this and hope the sun shines.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sandy good to hear you are alive and kicking (or pedaling) good luck on your journey and look forward to your next instalment. Best wishes from the BIFFAS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian - hope to be back in harness in October asumming my knee stands up to the vigour of this trip.n

      Delete