Monday 24 September 2012

Galicia - update


I thouht it was time to give you an update. The crossing by ferry to Santander was great. Flat calm across The Bay of Biscay, spouting whales near the ship and welcomed by warm sunshine in Spain. I picked up a hire car, big enough to take my bike, I set up my satnav on my new smart phone to take me to Vigo and off I set. I went round and round in circles, it refused to let me on the motorways and I was getting hot, flustered and very p......ed off. I stopped more than once to swear at the satnav thingy and hit it to make it do the right thing- I then realised you also have to be smart to use this thing - once I had changed the setting for vehicle of choice from bicycle to car it
took me onto the motorway and towards Vigo. Obviously it thinks it is smarter than mee - we shall see who is boss over the comg weeks!

I stopped at a Hostal overnight- clean w
i an en-suite - about 30km north of Santiago. I knew I was now in Galicia. No smiles, no quarter given for my lack of Spanish in fact nothing given away. Food was not served until 9pm - time enough
for 2 large beers which meant that when food was ready I just nodded as I couldnot trust my lips to make the right noises so what was put in front of me to eat was a great surprise.


Paul picked me up from Vigo and I am now looking after their various animals. Gilly has the same journey to look forward to next weekdnd as long as Britany Ferries settle the strike.

No comments:

Post a Comment