Tuesday 5 September 2017

Resting in Strasbourg

We are in Strasbourg. It has taken us 10 days cycling to get here. We started in the high Alps, screamed down the mountain side, sweated through gorges, cruised around the Bodansee and gently followed the Rhine across the French agricultural plains. We left Switzerland in Basel - expensive and efficient but the Germanic trait of lack of smiling and staring were ever present. We heard a beautiful local choir singing traditional songs with fantastic harmonic yodeling, saw hugh Zeplins giving tourists a view across the Bodensee and I fell off twice in one day. Yep, I am afraid to say I made an organised escape from my bike when the front wheel failed to go up over the curb and once a loaded bike begins to topple it goes. As if I had not learnt my lesson, I did the same in Basel, again at slow speed and I was able to jump off as it went.

We are now in France where bonjour rings out across the trail unless you are a French lycra clad. It seems quite beneath them to acknowledge the greeting from a mear tourer, if they fail to reply I give them the English tradition retort of 'bxllxcks'. The Maginot Line ran down this part of France and in a small town called Markolsheim they have bought one of the posts and turned into a small museum - interesting. The Line ran almost right across France to prevent invaision from the east (Germany) - fantastic fortifications. Unfortunately the Germans knew about it so bypassed the Line and came into France via Belgium - just not cricket what!

We had 2 long days to get here from Basel, 67km to Neuf-Brisack, a small one horse town with a wall as a fortress and then 78Km to get to Strasbourg. Both days were basically following the Rhone au Rhin Canal so generally flat and the last day on a very good tarmac canal towpath. I regret to say things do come in 3s. I came off again this time on some mud on the trail after the rain of a few days ago. Slow speed and again I jumped off as I lost control. Nothing hurt but my pride.

A day off and sight seeing - interesting cathedral, took a mini-train ride around the historic quarter then a tram to see the European Parlaiment - what a waste of billions, very impressive but only used half the time - all part of the European gravy-train, I think I am pleased we are leaving.

We are at least 4 days behind, regardless Gilly and I will be home by 24th September and I think Di  and Pat have a deadline a day or two before that.

Our legs are working well, I am enjoying the ride and I think we should average 60 -65km per day. We have a pow-wow tonight over supper to take stock and make plans.

Our Odo reads 593.6kms - maybe 800ish to go.






No comments:

Post a Comment