Tuesday 23 October 2012

Flat in France Yipee!!

Tuesday 23 - Castets France. We arrived in Bayonne yesterday after a not very pleasant ride from San Sebastian. Busy roads and very poorly signed in Spain. We met an old boy cycling - another one of these 'don't I do well for 68' - if I ever say that you can shoot me! well he is unhappy with Lance and the drugs , thinks all the old champions were at it except the French but thinks Cavandish is fantastic - I mentioned Wiggins and he said who ? can't have an Englishman winning the tour.
Today was a great ride - a 55k cycle route all the way from Bayonne to Leon Flat - yep flat and smooth all the way. We wanted to stay in Léon but it was shut (as it was when I cycled through a few years ago) so on to Castets and a great little hotel with a very friendly owner.
The coast here is just one long surf beach with rollers crashing on to the shore.
On any of my trips one of the highlights is actually overtaking another cyclist. Today after nearly 600km on the road it happened. Gilly and I were having a short rest when onto our cycle route came a couple pushing their bikes but once on the cycleway the started pedalling - this was my chance. I must mention at this stage that age does not matter nor the state of the bikes - a burn off is a burn off - we took both hom and her!!


Bikes are going well - Gilly has a very slow puncture in her back tyre which needs a bit of air each morning and will give them a bit of tlc in a few days time.  We are heading for Condom and will be stayong with an old school pal - we have about 150k to go so will be there for the weekend.
total so far612.3k

No comments:

Post a Comment