Tuesday 9 October 2012

Let loose in Asturias


We left at first light and arrived in Ribadeo just before 2pm. It was raining 'let mestay another day' - no they said in unison. 'Take me further I said - 'get out you whimp' - look at the wind I pleaded - toughen up said Paul. So I was deposited in the back streets of Ribedeo with about 120km to cycle to meet Gilly in Avilés.
After 2 hours I thought enough is enough and sort shelter in an hotel in Navia - 30 km was all I achieved over fairly flat ground. Paul assured me it would be flat.
t


On Sunday of I set expecting similar terrain but boy did I get a shock - up, down and in and out of the fijord like coast line. The bike was going well but by3 pm in 28°C my body was fagging. I had done 50km with 50 to go - I gave up and booked into a Pilgrims Hostal - the takes me along the 'English' or northern Camiño to Santiago. It was clean - about€10 for the night. I met a spanish guy  cycling the Comiño and he filled me with horror with tales of massive hills for me tommorrow. Early start I decided. At supper that night I met my 1st 'prat' of the trip and he was English. Married to a French lady he spoke to me in pigeon english all night whereas his spouse spoke great English. They were walking the Camiño for the 4th time - why, I thought, but had moved over from the main route because it was too crowded and  some people were walking it who were not real pilgrims! Well what is the world coming to - not real pilgrims! I had seen on theTV A week or so back that over 54,000 pilgrims had arrived in Santiago this season.
I was on the road in the dark - I wanted atleast 15k under my belt before sunup. Itwas a had day. Huge detours around the bottom of the valleys but knowing the 'light of my life' was waiting at the end just kept me going.
Gilly had a good crossing to Santander and we met up as planned in Avilés. Whata dump - big industrial city. Our hotel was about on par with my pilgrims hostal but not quite so clean.
Gilly though she would get away with light panniers but I soon off loaded half a tent, some spare maps first aid kit etc - it was obviously not enough as on the first hill I was eating her dust.
Tonight we are in Gijón - if anyone can pronounce it properly I will buy them a pint - in a 4* hotel. First impessions were not good but on the way out there was a great beach, some interesting bars and the sun was shining.
Distance today 33km total 169.

No comments:

Post a Comment