Sunday 14 October 2012

Stormbound

Sunday 14th October - stornbound in Comillas.
The day dawned well and the forecast of impending bad weather looked  to have been over emphasized. We set off in good spirits with great views of the mountains but before we had reached the sumit of the first hill (took us about 30 mins) the weather was changing. We pressed on to Comillas - about 14k looking for some breakfast - everywhere looked shut so we stopped in a very upmarket bus shelter and flashed up the jetboil.  I could see a petrol station a couple of hundred metres up the road so suggested that Gilly pop down there to pick up some food and the tea would be brewed by the time she got back. She had been gone less than 30 seconds when the heavens opened and the wind hit. I had to move my bike a little so that the saddle would not get too wet and sat there relaxed supping my coffee. Gilly was some time - it appeared that there was no shelter at the gas station, it had no food and the wind was so strong that Gilly could hardly cycle back. She eventually appeared like a drowned rat. We thought it best to call it a day. we had to walk back into town as the wind was too strong and gusty to cycle and we went into the first hotel we could find - a4* and v. nice.
Comillas has some history with great old town and a Gaudi House - yes some of you uneducater may ask what is so special about a Gaudi house - well I spent 5€ to go round one and I am still asking hat question.
The rythm of life is different over here because we are so far west and we are an hour ahead of UK it does not get light until 0845 and gets dark around 1945. The restaurants do not open until near 200 and even though the weather is not so hot the locals still have a siest from about 1300 to 1700.


All the campsites are shut and we don't fancy sharing the beach verges with the surf bums so tomorrow we are packing up all our camping stuff and sending it home. It was when I was overtaken by yet another jogger that I thought why am I dragging all this weight up these hills. Then a German cyclist swept past without a word on the next hill with a half laden bike that I knew if I do not shed some weight I will not overtake anybody on this trip. Dist today 16.29k total  327.6

No comments:

Post a Comment